Sunday, December 21, 2008

Mother to Son

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor—
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So, boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps.
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now—
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

--Langston Hughes

P.S. I got a new camera--a Nikon P80 and it ROCKS.
P.P.S. Unfortunately, I'm on my eighth day sitting with Brandon in the hospital. He got in a car accident (not his fault) and is in fairly bad shape. Hopefully will be getting out tomorrow but months and months of rehab after....let's just say it sucks ass.

Please make sure to check out my updated websites--they're shiny and bright and make me happy

Visual Influence
The Emergence Project
The Eclipse Gallery

And just to warn you, I love Wordpress so much now I might be switching this blog over too. Then again, I might not. Maybe this is better off on the DL for people who actually care to dig deep enough into who I am to find it.

4 comments:

Eleanor said...

Oh dear, what terrible news. You're in my thoughts, warmest of wishes to Brandon and I hope he feels better soon. xxx

Maria said...

My thoughts to you too! Hope he gets better really soon.
Happy New Year!!

visualinfluenceblog.com said...

thanks, he's doing better but will be months-long recovery

avant garde said...

oh my goodness, i am studying history of the american south currently in one class, academic writing and critical reading. we've studied langston hughes and this poem in particular. ruby dee did a reading of it that would have put tears in your eyes! my professor brought it into class and it gave me goosebumps at the same time! so thrilled to see you post about langston hughes. happy new year to you and yours!